Last Updated on June 15, 2021
A trip to the desert is not complete without one (or more) unforgettable nights camping under the stars. Setting up a camp in the desert may seem like a daunting task, but it surely is one amazing experience one must try at least once. Picking the right desert gear can surely make the task easier, and opting for a quality camping tent is definitely the top priority when you are travelling in harsh environments subject to extreme weather conditions, as in the case of most deserts.
How to pick a desert tent
When you are camping in the dry desert environment, rain will rarely be a problem, so a waterproof tent is not necessary. What you will have to deal with is rather very strong winds and potential sandstorms. The ideal tent for desert wind comes with plenty of poles for increased resistance. The type and material of your tent stakes will also greatly affect how resistant your camp is to high winds.
Every desert environment is different, but most deserts are subject to extreme temperatures that fluctuate greatly during the day. The Sonoran desert in Arizona, for example, has a summer air temperature ranging from around 100F (40C) during the day, to a slittle as 50F(10C) at night. The best tents for camping in Arizona need to account for these sharp drops in temperature, and this is true for most hot deserts.
As part of the Amazon Associate and eBay Partner Programme, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Desert Camping Tents
Coleman WeatherMaster Tent with Screen Room
Free Space 4-Seasons Outdoor Camping Bell Tent
Snugpak Scorpion 2 Camping Tent
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen-size airbeds
- Separate floorless screen room offers bug-free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Measures 11 x 9 feet with 6-foot 8-inch center height; Screen room measures 9 x 6 feet
- Rainfly and expandable carry bag included
Kick back, relax, and watch nature unfold before your eyes with the Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent with Screen Room. Great for car camping and extended camping trips, this outdoor tent has a separate floorless screened room that offers extra ventilation on warm days, protected storage, and a bug-free place for meals. This camping tent is designed with the WeatherTec system that features patented welded floors and inverted seams to help you stay dry and includes a rainfly for extra weather protection. The tent offers enough room for 2 queen-size airbeds and comes with storage pockets to help you keep your things organized. The angled windows improve air circulation without letting water in. A hinged door allows you to effortlessly enter and leave the tent, while an E-Port makes it easy to bring electrical power inside your tent. Made of durable Polyguard fabric, this 6-person tent will last season after season. The Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent sets up in about 20 minutes and packs away securely in the included expandable carry bag that lets you tear away the rip strip for easy packing.
- Diameter 13.1ft (4m) bell tent: door height 59in, top height 98.4in, side wall height 23.6in, the stove hole center from floor is 15.7in. It can fit 1 queen-sized bed and 2 twin-sized beds.
- Durable and breathable 100% cotton canvas in beige color and water Repellent. Double Stitch Reinforcement: All our seams are double stitched, corners are reinforced for added strength.
- The tent allows you to roll up the sides of the tent so on a scorching afternoon you can lounge under canvas, enjoying the breezy shade beneath. There are 4 windows and 4 vents. Every tent comes complete with windows and vents covered in no-see-um mesh to keep the bugs out while providing ventilation and airflow. Our half-moon windows have zip up covers to allow you to customize your desired level of ventilation and privacy.
- Groundsheet: Our super durable Regatta Bell Tent features a sewn-in PE groundsheet for those who would rather want their groundsheet attached as it’s easier to set up and less fussy. If you are looking for instant setup, this tent is ideal. It is an added level of waterproofness, a solid wall of defense that keeps your tent clean and in tip-top condition. Easier to clean – just hose or wipe off.
- The camping canvas bell tent is stability, breathability and water-resistance. The coolest feature is the zip-away floor that transforms your tent into a canopy for outdoor events such as festivals, Family Camping, weddings, Picnics, parties, Luxury Camping and group campouts.
Bring a new sense of adventure to your next glamping trip with our classic camping bell tent.Our classic camping bell tent is roomy inside and packed full of smart features. Waterproof and breathable because of the strong treated cotton canvas fibers that repel water and provide comfort that gives you the best blend of all season protection and airflow. Enjoy a dry, comfortable indoor family experience. We’ve also included extra-strong pegs, making this tent sturdy in windy weather and bad conditions. These tents are easy to set up with a simple two pole assembly. The oversized door makes loading and unloading your gear quick and easy. You’ll love the tent as your home away from home. Why not accessorise your tent and complete the experience with a variety of camping furniture – from chandeliers to sound systems, tables to bedding, rugs and plenty more – perfect for taking your camping experience.
- Inner tent dimensions are 81 inches long, 51 inches wide, and 41 inches tell; built to accommodate 2 people
- Compact pack size is 17 inches long by 7.5 inches wide; trail weight is 4.93 pounds, pack weight is 5.83 pounds
- Equipped with DAC Featherlite aluminum poles with press fit connectors; comes with 16 alloy stakes; suitable for all 4 seasons
- Flysheet is 210t polyester RipStop with 5000 millimeter waterproof polyurethane coating with taped seams
- Includes a basic repair kit; contains metal pole repair sleeve, tent guide rope tensioner, spare cord, elastic loop, patch materials, and a storage bag
- 1 Doors / 3 Vents
- 50D Polyester No-See-Um-Mesh
- DAC Featherlite NSL anodized poles
- Alloy Stakes (14 + 2 Spare Stakes)
- Comes with a Basic Repair Kit
The interior of the Scorpion 2 is lined with No-See-Um Mesh and is protected by a PU coated Fly Sheet that provides an external, seal-able porch space to store gear. Ideal for a semi-permanent camp, the Scorpion 2 provides a large amount of floor space to provide ample room for two people to sleep in a top-toe sleeping arrangement. The RipStop waterproof Fly Sheet combined with the heavy duty, waterproof bathtub-style Ground Sheet provides you with a durable design that can withstand prolonged exposure to the elements.
Best tent stakes for desert camping
The ideal stakes for hard terrains are long and sturdy. V- and Y- shaped stakes are the top choice asthey can provide the most support against high desert wind, although they can also be a bit tricky to push into the ground.
15 x Heavy Duty Steel Screw in Camping Garden Tent Stakes/pegs with Glow in The Dark Heads + Bonus Canvas Carry Pouch + Hex Drill Bit. Your best option for staking a tent to a hard desert ground, such as that you will find in Utah, is to use these steel screws. Just make sure to have a cordless drill available – everything else is included in the kit. [Check Price]
- Camping Tent
- Sleeping Bag
- Desert Backpack
- Desert Hiking Boots
- Plenty of water
- Food for desert
- First aid kit
- Travel insurance covering desert activities
Your n°1 source of information on the world of sandsports and desert adventure travel. Our articles are the result of extensive research, personal experience, and knowledge-sharing within the global sandboarding community.