Last Updated on February 22, 2023
Dune riding is an adrenaline-fueled and exciting form of off-roading that takes place in the desert. If you’re an ATV or off-roading enthusiast, then you know that Texas is one of the best places in the United States to enjoy the thrill of sand dune riding and off-roading.
With its diverse landscapes, ranging from flat deserts to rolling hills, there’s no shortage of amazing places to ride.
Monahans Sandhills State Park
Monahans Sandhills State Park, located near Monahans, Texas, is a must-visit destination for any ATV or off-roading enthusiast. This park features over 3,840 acres of sand dunes that are perfect for ATV and off-roading adventures. Whether you’re an experienced rider or just starting out, the sand dunes at Monahans Sandhills State Park provide an exciting and challenging riding experience.
ATV and Off-Roading Rentals
One of the great things about Monahans Sandhills State Park is that there are ATV and off-road vehicle rentals available, so you don’t have to bring your own vehicle. These rentals come in a variety of sizes, from small ATVs to larger off-road vehicles, so you can choose the perfect vehicle for your riding needs.
Camping and Lodging Options
In addition to its fantastic riding opportunities, Monahans Sandhills State Park also offers a variety of camping and lodging options. There are RV sites, tent camping sites, and even cabins available for rent, so you can choose the option that works best for you. Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway or a longer trip, Monahans Sandhills State Park has everything you need to make your desert riding experience unforgettable.
Desert Riding in El Paso
El Paso, Texas is a popular destination for ATV and off-roading enthusiasts. The city is surrounded by expansive deserts and mountains, offering a wide range of terrains for riders to explore.
The most popular spot for desert riding in El Paso is the Red Sands near Hueco Tanks State Historic Site, which offers a unique riding experience with its natural rock formations and historic Native American rock art.
Red Sands, located just west of Hueco Tanks in Texas, is a must-visit destination for any off-roading enthusiast. This desert area features 21 miles of diverse landscapes including sand dunes, small hills, and amazing views. It’s an ideal place for ATV riding, and for those without their own vehicles, Off-Road Adventures offers ATV rentals.
Red Sands is also a unique destination for those interested in the geological history of the area. Thirty-four million years ago, the entire region was covered by an ancient sea, and visitors can still find fossils scattered throughout the area. This makes it a great destination for those who love outdoor adventures and exploring the natural beauty of the area.
Desert Riding Tips
It’s important to be aware that Red Sands is not an official off-highway recreational area and is not managed or maintained by anyone. To ensure a safe and enjoyable desert riding experience, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Equipment: If your vehicle is not equipped with 4×4 and off-road tires, don’t attempt to drive into Red Sands, as the fine sand can cause you to get stuck. When riding ATVs, UTVs, or ROVs, make sure to wear appropriate safety gear, including a helmet and eye protection. Also, ensure that your vehicle is equipped with front and rear lighting for night rides.
- Safety: A whip and flag are recommended for your off-road vehicle, as they can prevent collisions with other riders around sand dunes and blind corners on narrow trails.
- Awareness of Other Riders: When riding in the desert, be aware that there could be other riders around, so be cautious and anticipate that there could be someone on the other side of a sand dune or around a blind corner.
- Sand Dunes: Do not ride over a sand dune without first stopping at the top to check the other side. Sand dunes are often sloped on one side and have drop-offs on the other side, so it’s important to ensure it’s safe before proceeding.
- Firearm Safety: Blindly discharging firearms in the desert is extremely dangerous and illegal. Always check with local authorities for safe and responsible areas for target practice.
- Alcohol: Don’t drink and drive or drink and ride. The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office patrols desert areas and you could be subject to arrest if you’re intoxicated while operating a vehicle.
- Help in Case of Emergency: Desert areas in east El Paso are not easily accessible by ambulance and other first responders, so it’s important to have a buddy with you and carry a cell phone with GPS capability. If you need help, dial 911.
- Litter: The desert areas in east El Paso are a beautiful part of the ecosystem and should be respected. Bring a trash bag and dispose of your waste properly in a dumpster. Do not burn tires or pallets, as the nails and other debris can harm the environment and other riders.
Rent a UTV Off-Road Adventures provides UTV rental services for the Red Sand desert area in El Paso. Contact them for more information on their rental rates. Enjoy your desert riding experience in Texas and always be safe!
Your n°1 source of information on the world of sandsports and desert adventure travel. Our articles are the result of extensive research, personal experience, and knowledge-sharing within the global sandboarding community.
You must log in to post a comment.