Last Updated on January 19, 2023
Dry, hot and desert-like climates can be extremely harsh on the skin, and it is important to use desert skin care products that are formulated to address the unique needs and challenges of such an extreme environment.
When you are in the desert, the major concern is keeping your skin hydrated because your body will sweat a lot in order to keep itself cool during the day.
Additionally, because there isn’t any vegetation in the desert, sunlight gets reflected by the sand, intensifying UV radiation that risks to heavily harm your skin if you don’t take sufficient precautions.
The best desert skin care products are therefore designed to keep your skin hydrated while also protecting from UV damage. Likewise, your hair also needs to be protected and treated accordingly.
As part of the Amazon Associate and eBay Partner Programme, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Desert Skin Care Tips & Products
Some of the must-have skin care products for hot desert climates include:
Look for a high-hydration moisturizer that is formulated for your skin type and that contains ingredients like glycerin, hyaluronic acid, or ceramides to help lock in moisture. These ingredients can help to keep your skin hydrated and prevent dryness and irritation.
Olay Firming & Hydrating Body Lotion with Collagen
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Fragrance-free Hydrating Body Gel Cream
Olay Regenerist Collagen Peptide 24 MAX Hydrating Face Moisturizer
Murad Hydration Nutrient-Charged Water Gel
To protect your skin from harmful UV rays in the desert, it is essential to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 50 or more – ideally, 70 SPF or 100 SPF, for the highest possible level of protection.
Ideally, look for a sunscreen that is lightweight and non-greasy, and reapply every 2 to 4 hours when you are outside.
SPF 100 Banana Boat Sport Ultra
SPF 100 Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch
SPF 100 La Roche-Posay Anthelios
SPF 110 Neutrogena Age Shield
3. Lip balm
The dry desert air can be harsh on the lips, so it is important to use a lip balm to keep your lips hydrated and prevent dryness and chapping.
Look for a lip balm that contains ingredients like beeswax, shea butter, or coconut oil to help moisturize and protect the lips.
Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Color Balm SPF 50
Panama Jack Sunscreen Lip Balm – SPF 45
4. Face mist
A face mist can be a refreshing way to hydrate and refresh your skin in the desert. Look for a face mist that contains ingredients like aloe vera, rosewater, or hyaluronic acid to help moisturize and soothe the skin. Keep it in your bag or purse and spritz it on your face throughout the day to refresh your skin and keep it hydrated.
Not only that, but face mists are also great for setting makeup, making it last longer and look fresher. Some face mists even come with added benefits such as being formulated with antioxidants or anti-aging ingredients, which will provide even more benefits to your skin.
5. Hair Products
Ideally, opt for shampoos, conditioners and hair masks that contain UV filters can help to protect your hair from UV damage. Look for a hair products that contain ingredients like argan oil, shea butter, or avocado oil to help nourish and moisturize your hair while also protecting it from the sun.
-417 Dead Sea Cosmetics Volumizing Mud Shampoo
Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Rapid Renewal Shampoo
-417 Dead Sea Cosmetics Deep Nourishing Mineral Conditioner
Joico Defy Damage Protective Shield
Skincare Routine for Dry Climates
Dry, hot climates can be tough on the skin, as the dry air and intense UV radiation can cause the skin to become dehydrated and damaged. To keep your skin healthy and looking its best in these desert or desert-like conditions, it is important to follow a skincare routine that is specifically tailored to the needs of your skin.
Below, some tips for a desert-proof skincare routine:
- Cleanse: Use a gentle, non-foaming cleanser to remove dirt and impurities without stripping your skin of its natural oils. Avoid using hot water, as it can further dry out your skin.
- Drink plenty of water: This is essential for keeping your skin hydrated from the inside out. Aim to drink at least eight glasses of water a day to help keep your skin healthy and looking its best.
- Use a moisturizer: Applying a moisturizer to your skin after showering or bathing is one of the most important things you can do to protect your skin from the drying effects of the climate. Look for a moisturizer that is labeled “humectant” or “hydrating” and contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid and glycerin to attract and retain moisture. Avoid moisturizers that contain harmful chemicals.
- Use a facial oil or serum: These products provide an extra boost of hydration and nourishment to your skin.
- Wear sunscreen very often: Sunscreen is essential for protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays, which can cause dryness, aging, and skin cancer. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 70 (the higher the better) and remember to reapply every couple of hours, especially if you are spending a lot of time in the sun.
- Use a lip balm: Keep your lips hydrated and prevent them from becoming chapped with a moisturizing lip balm.
- Humidify: Consider using a humidifier to add moisture to the air, which can help prevent your skin from becoming dry and dehydrated.
It is important to be consistent with your skincare routine and to choose products that are specifically formulated for dry skin to ensure that your skin gets the nourishment and protection it needs.
This may include using a facial mist or facial spray to add hydration throughout the day, avoiding hot showers, and applying a facial mask or facial peel to exfoliate and renew the skin.
It is also a good idea to invest in a good quality facial sunscreen that is designed for daily use, as well as a facial moisturizer with a high SPF to provide extra protection from the sun.
In addition to these daily skincare tips, it is also important to pay attention to your clothing and overall health and lifestyle.
This includes wearing appropriate UPF clothing, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet rich in antioxidants and fatty acids, and managing stress levels.
These factors can all have a big impact on the health and appearance of your skin, so it is important to prioritize self-care to keep your skin looking its best.
Your n°1 source of information on the world of sandsports and desert adventure travel. Our articles are the result of extensive research, personal experience, and knowledge-sharing within the global sandboarding community.