Last Updated on April 21, 2022
It goes without saying that carrying plenty of water with you is an essential (if not the MOST essential) part of any trip to the desert. A hydration backpack with a water reservoire can help you transport enough fluids, but a quality water bottle with a filtration and antibactarial system can further help you by allowing you to collect water from sources like fountains and streams and make sure it’s safe enough to drink. It also comes with the benefit of being refillable which means you won’t have to replace plastic bottles, which are harmful both to you and to the environment.
As part of the Amazon Associate and eBay Partner Programme, we earn from qualifying purchases.
How to choose a desert water bottle
Make sure your flask is made of BPA-free plastic. BPA stands for bisphenol A, a dangerous chemical that can leak from the bottle to the water you drink, and this will happen at a much faster rate when you find yourself in the extreme heat. While glass bottles are technically fine to drink from, they will add considerable weight to your backpack, so it’s better to opt for lighter materials. Stainless steel bottles are a good compromise if you want to avoid plastic.
A multi-layer filter is also essential for water purification and a vital part of any desert survival kit. The most known (and definitely one of the highest quality) brands of filters for water bottles is LifeStraw, which is known to eliminate 99.999999% of harmful bacteria (including salmonella and e. coli) as well as microplastics and other water impurities. LifeStraw makes for some of the best water bottle technologies out there, but there are plenty of options which are just as good.
Best Water Bottles for Desert
- Advanced filtration. Protects against 99. 999999% of bacteria (including E. Coli and Salmonella), 99. 999% of parasites (including Giardia), and 99. 999% of micro plastics. Reduces chlorine, ba odour, Organic chemical matter, turbidity and improves taste
- Durable & BPA-free. The reusable Life Straw go water bottle holds 22 Oz (650 ml) of water – fill up from a stream or tap and take your water with you, Great for hiking, camping, travel and emergency preparedness
- Long-lasting. Membrane micro filter lasts up to 1, 000 gallons (4, 000 L) and the activated carbon filter lasts up to 26 gallons (100 L) of water with proper use and maintenance
- Rigorous testing. All Life Straw filters are rigorously tested to meet protocols Established by the US environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and NSF International/ANSI
- Your purchase has impact. For every Life Straw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe water for an entire school year.
- Protects against 99.999999% of bacteria (including E.coli, Salmonella), 99.999% of parasites (including Giardia), 99.999% of microplastics, chlorine, organic chemical matter and turbidity; improves taste
- Meets protocols established by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and NSF International/ANSI. Improves taste and avoids the need to buy single use plastic bottled water.
- Double wall vacuum insulated bottle maintains cool temperature for up to 24 hours. Easy to use, easy to clean. 24 oz capacity.
- Long-lasting 0.2 micron membrane microfilter lasts up to 1,000 gallons (4,000 L) and the activated carbon filter lasts up to 26 gallons (100 L) of water with proper use and maintenance.
- YOUR PURCHASE HAS IMPACT. For every LifeStraw product purchased, a school child in need receives safe water for an entire school year.
- UV-C: STERILIZATION OF THE FUTURE | CrazyCap’s powerful ultraviolet light is your family’s new favorite tech! Built right into the cap, our hard-working rays are on the same wavelength as the UV used to sanitize operating rooms, water treatment plants, and other serious stuff.
- SELF-CLEANING BOTTLE | Sip back and relax! CrazyCap stops odors from breeding inside your water bottle. Every four hours, UV rays in the cap automatically activate, keeping your water 99.9996% fresh and clean—and the bottle free from yucky mold, mildew, odors and everyday funk.
- 60 SECONDS TO PURE REFRESHMENT | So easy, even the kids can do it! With just a few taps of the finger, you can enjoy pristine drinking water whether you’re at home, camping, on the sports field, or in the parent pick-up line. Tap the cap twice for quick 60-second cleansing, or five times for deeper 2-minute purification.
- SUPER INSULATED STAINLESS STEEL | Durably crafted of BPA-free 304 stainless steel with double-walled vacuum insulation, the CrazyCap flask is virtually indestructible. It stands up to the occasional drop, won’t leak, maintains hot beverages for 12 hours, and keeps drinks icy cold for up to 24 hours without breaking a sweat.
- HAPPY ECO-FRIENDLY HYDRATION | The best alternative to boiled water, wasted soap, and expensive water tablets. CrazyCap helps keep your crew healthy while replacing 500,000+ plastic bottles!
- PURIFY WATER ANYWHERE: Make sketchy water safe and clean to drink. Ideal for outdoor adventures (hiking, camping, backpacking, fishing, hunting, bushcraft), global travel, and survival situations. Simply – Fill. Press. Drink!
- REMOVES ALL PATHOGENS: Viruses (e.g. rotavirus, norovirus, hepatitis A), bacteria (e.g. E. Coli, salmonella, dysentery), and protozoa (e.g. giardia, cryptosporidium, amoebae).
- FILTERS & CLEANS: Particulates (e.g. sediment, silt, microplastics), many chemicals (e.g. chlorine, benzene, chloroform), and heavy metals (e.g. lead, arsenic, chromium); Improves taste, smell, and clarity.
- UNRIVALED SPEED & EASE: Purifies 24 oz (710ml) of water. Requires no setup time, pumps, hoses, sucking straws, batteries, chemicals, or prolonged waiting. Effortlessly purify from any spigot, hotel sink, murky river, lake, or well.
- EMERGENCY PREPARATION: Equipped with replaceable purifier cartridge good for 65 gallons (250L). Perfect for home or car prep kit so you are ready for any natural disaster, water emergency, or survival situation.
- Camping Tent
- Sleeping Bag
- Desert Backpack
- Desert Hiking Boots
- Plenty of water
- Food for desert
- First aid kit
- Travel insurance covering desert activities
Your n°1 source of information on the world of sandsports and desert adventure travel. Our articles are the result of extensive research, personal experience, and knowledge-sharing within the global sandboarding community.