Last Updated on August 9, 2022
Sand dune sledding is an increasingly popular recreational activity for children and adults alike. If you want to get your hands on your very own sand sled, we have a few recommendations.
The most important thing to consider when you buy a sandsled is the location you are planning to use it: this will determine whether you need a professional hardwood sand sled for desert sand dunes, or a less sophisticated plastic / metal toboggan for beach sand dunes.
Here are our recommendations for the best sand sleds in the market as of :
As part of the Amazon Associate and eBay partner network programmes, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Best Sand Sleds for Desert Sand Dunes
Sand sleds for desert dunes are made of the same type of hardwood and laminate combination used to create sandboards (which allow you to “surf” on the dune while standing up). They need to be used together with sandboard wax in order to make them slippery enough to slide.
Best Toboggans for Beach Sand Dunes
If you are on smaller beach dunes or artificial sand hills (such as those for winter sand sledding in LA), then a plastic toboggan sled is usually enough to enjoy a smooth ride on sand. These boards are usually manufactured with snow in mind but are suitable for sand (although they may require thorough waxing).
CYBER RYDER Foam Sled
2-Person Snow Sled
Best Disc Saucers for Sand Dunes
Disc saucers are especially fun for small children, who can sit and maneuver them while gliding on sand dunes. Foam plastic saucers with the aid of sandboard wax will perform greatly on sand, but some manufacturers have started making steel saucers especially crafted for sand sledding.
Foam Disc Saucer
Steel Sand Slider
What do you need for sand sledding
Dune sledding essentials:
- A sand sled (for desert dunes), toboggan or disc saucer (for beach dunes and artificial sand hills)
- Sandboard wax
- Lots of water
If you are in the desert:
Sandboard wax for sale
How to use a sand sled
- Once you have your sand sledding gear ready, it’s time to head to the dune.
- Walk uphill until you find a nice sliding position, ideally a steep dune with dry, thin sand and no obstructions.
- Place your sand sled back-up on the ground so you can wax it thoroughly.
- Apply sandboard wax to the base of your sled until it is no longer sticky, make sure that the surface of your board is slippery enough that no sand granules attach to it.
- Flip your board back-up and position yourself either lying down on your belly or sitting (some sleds can accommodate up to two people).
- Use your arms to push yourself down the edge of the dune.
- Try to keep your weight centered on the board as you sledge downhill, and enjoy the ride!
Keywords: sand sleds for sale – sand dune sleds for sale – buy sand sled – sand bumsled for sale – sandsleds for sale — sand sled amazon – dune sleds – toboggan for sand – sand toboggans for sale – where to buy sand sleds
Your n°1 source of information on the world of sandsports and desert adventure travel. Our articles are the result of extensive research, personal experience, and knowledge-sharing within the global sandboarding community.